ThingWorx enables a new level of connectedness and intelligence for operators of factories, plants, supply chains and fleets to leverage the IoT to connect the assets they own with their operations and business systems.
Solving IoT Challenges in Manufacturing
Manufacturers face constant pressure to continuously improve operational performance, but the high variability of systems and equipment by plant, by line and even by manufacturing process, combined with a mix of modern equipment and legacy investments, creates visibility, interoperability and flexibility challenges that are strong barriers to operational excellence.
Manufacturing operations are increasingly using smart equipment, but the amount of data generated by automation systems, robots, NC machines, PLCs, digital gauges, cameras, sensors, wireless tools and others devices creates islands of data that can’t easily be combined and analyzed, creating a challenge that traditional manufacturing systems were simply not designed for.
Strategic IoT Solutions for Smart Manufacturing
The Internet of Things (IoT), and more specifically the ThingWorx IoT Platform, is changing this dynamic and brings an opportunity to manufacturing companies for creating a steep change in operational innovation and operational excellence. Analysts and industry experts call this opportunity Industry 4.0, Smart Manufacturing, Smart Factory or Brilliant Factory. The exact name doesn’t matter so much. It all comes down to reaching operational excellence with smart, connected operations.
The ThingWorx platform has a unique heritage in manufacturing. It was created by a team of serial manufacturing entrepreneurs. Over the years, they have pioneered Manufacturing Intelligence with Lighthammer (sold to SAP in 2005), founded an MES company and acted as executives at top MES global leaders. ThingWorx represents the next-generation IoT platform for manufacturing operations and bring the key functionality of IoT connectivity, interoperability, Web 2.0, search, and social collaboration to boost operational excellence.
Benefits of the ThingWorx IoT Platform for Manufacturing
ThingWorx augments your existing manufacturing landscape and connects to all devices, systems and people to rapidly build connected applications to control and optimize processes. It transforms operational big data into actionable insights for faster and better decisions and transforms break-fix maintenance processes into condition-based and predictive maintenance for production assets, ultimately increasing performance, uptime, quality and productivity.
Key to the ThingWorx approach is its focus on rapid application enablement, reducing application development efforts by ten times, minimizing cost, risk, and time to market.
For factories, it delivers:
- Next-generation operational intelligence: aggregating data from various systems, assets and people to get a 360 degrees view into operations, including drill-down into correlated data to find root causes, for faster and better decision-making and ultimately higher operational performance
- Unified key performance indicators: connecting disparate silos of operational information from various systems, assets and people across all factories into consistent KPIs to gain unified, real-time visibility into operational and comparable performance.
- Connected operations and paperless shop floor: replacing paper-based and manual processes with role-based connected application that mashup and simplifies information from multiple systems (PLM, CAD, ERP), devices (industrial tools) and workers to improve performance, productivity and quality.
- Supplier quality: Gaining visibility into supplier’s critical quality and manufacturing metrics by securely remotely connecting to their equipment and systems, without the need for complex traditional system integration.
- Asset tracking: Real-time, continuous visibility into location and status of fixed and moving assets such as critical parts, jigs, fixtures, tooling and goods in transit.
- Predictive analytics: removing the complexity once associated with executing advanced and predictive analytics to automatically deliver proactive information to decision makers to improve quality and performance of complex manufacturing processes and transform asset break/fix maintenance processes into predictive maintenance before failure occurs.
- Real-time asset health monitoring: minimizing downtime and avoiding potential failures by enabling detailed monitoring of equipment condition and operating parameters to automatically trigger alerts and proactively initiate response from maintenance team or OEM service networks as soon as problem occurs.