ThingWorx in Action at Mobile World Congress
Special thanks to our partner Libelium for their invitation to join them at MWC, Booth 8.0C1.
Come join us in Libelium’s booth, for a Smart City App demo built on the ThingWorx Platform that illustrates how air quality can be monitored and controlled based on data collected with Libelium sensors.
The demo shows the Air Quality Index in 3 different city locations (downtown, residential area and industrial area). The ThingWorx Platform is able to determine the Air Quality Index, and alerts can be triggered by the ThingWorx Platform when the AQI reaches certain thresholds at the various locations so corrective measures can be taken. Information such as this is invaluable for municipalities to proactively adopt policies to control and to prevent air pollution.
The AQI is an index for reporting daily air quality. It tells you how clean or polluted your air is, and what associated health effects might be a concern for you. The AQI focuses on health effects a person may experience within a few hours or days after breathing polluted air.
The Air Quality Index is calculated after measuring pollutants in the air such as sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide and ozone. Results can be divided into categories indicating increasing levels of health concern. While different countries vary on how they report AQI, they report a range of the Index and a corresponding color to represent the air quality. Here is one example:
On a day when the AQI is predicted to be elevated, an agency or public health organization might
- Advise sensitive groups, such as the elderly, children, and those with respiratory or cardiovascular problems to avoid outdoor exertion
- Declare an “action day” to encourage voluntary measures to reduce air emissions, such as using public transportation
- Recommend the use of masks to keep fine particles from entering the lungs
Using data from Libelium sensors with the ThingWorx Platform for monitoring air pollution quickly and easily enables:
- Ongoing evaluation and assessment of AQI.
- Preventive alerts when AQI rises to Moderate –> activating actions and decisions
- Analysis of historic data for forecasts of air pollution
The benefits of this on stakeholders such as citizens or the municipality are immeasurable!